Tuesday, January 26, 2010

When Formals Ruled the World

I need a circle of friends who like dressing in formals and going to elegant events/parties. When I moved into my apartment this last time, I ransacked my closet and got rid of all the unwanted crap...there was a lot of it.

But in the process, I found this dress. Gorgeous "little black dress."

It had been purchased 4 years ago for a semi-formal Christmas party for the place I worked. Mind you, the place I worked back then was comprised of rough-around-the-edges tech crews and grunt work teams. Guys that got dirty.

And yet, come Christmas time, these guys could clean up with the best of 'em, bringing their spouses to a classy party.

Similarly, I had a group of friends in Tulsa that were all transplants from overseas...the "Hilti crowd"...who all planned and executed formal dinner parties regularly. They were the kind of people who loved to don dress shirts and slacks or flowing, sexy dresses, going to a club and salsa dancing or two-stepping.

That would be so amazing to be part of again!

Maybe that's why I love the idea of a 1940's-style jazz club and have on my list of to-do's for 2010 "plug in to a cultural community!" Nights of sultry jazz, dazzling formals, rich red wine, melodic symphonies, carefree ballet, classy art galleries & moody lighting make my heart dance with happiness.

No comments: